Hyundai EVs and Hybrids
Hyundai Electric and Hybrid Vehicles at Premier Hyundai of Seaside
The team at Premier Hyundai of Seaside is excited to show customers their options for an environmentally friendly vehicle. We understand that it can be a little confusing when you are trying to learn the terminology and benefits of these earth-friendly vehicles. Our staff of green vehicle experts is ready to answer all your questions. And get you set up on a few test drives of the dozens of electric and hybrid vehicles we have on our lot. But first, we would like to offer you a little bit of helpful information.
What Is A Hybrid Vehicle?
While hybrids do offer some benefits to the environment and you in the form of increased fuel economy, you might be shocked to learn that a hybrid vehicle is entirely fueled by gasoline. But it also uses an electric motor to assist with propulsion and reduce fuel consumption. On level ground or at low speeds, only the gas engine is functioning. But other times, both engines work together. The electric motor also acts as a generator when you apply the brakes. The energy created when braking is stored in a small battery. Then it can be used to help accelerate from a stop to conserve gasoline. The Hyundai hybrid lineup includes the Tucson, Santa Fe, Elantra, Sonata, and the Ioniq.
Plug-in hybrids are a lot like the hybrids we just mentioned, but they use more battery power. The battery packs on a plug-in are much larger and require a charge from either an AC or DC charging station. These bigger batteries can power the entire vehicle, but the gasoline engine takes over when they run out of power. The Hyundai Ionic model offers a plug-in version as well as the traditional hybrid.
Electric vehicles use no gasoline at all. They rely solely on power from their battery packs for power. As you might imagine, the electric motor in these vehicles is much larger. It can operate even at highway speed for an extended period of time. The large battery packs on electric vehicles need to be recharged either from a fast-charging public DC power station or at home from an AC power supply. The all-electrics from Hyundai include the Kona and the Ioniq.
What To Consider When Going Green
A hybrid is an excellent start to reducing the emissions that your vehicle is pumping into the atmosphere. It is ideal for anyone who does not have access to a public charging station or drives long distances that exceed the range of an electric vehicle. Going all-electric will eliminate your fuel cost and other maintenance expenses like regular oil and transmission service, but you will need access to charging. Cities like Monterey and Carmel-By-The-Sea offer multiple 24-hour charging stations.
Find Your Next Electric Model at Premier Hyundai of Seaside
At Hyundai, you’ll find that you have a wide variety of models to choose from. When you’re thinking about financing something new, you might want to consider the:
- SONATA Hybrid: This model can get a combined horsepower of 192, so you can expect an immediate response when you put your foot on the pedal. Even with this power, it can still get an EPA-estimated 54 miles per gallon on the highway. If you’re tired of paying high prices at the pump, it might be time to make the switch to the SONATA Hybrid.
- ELANTRA Hybrid: The ELANTRA Hybrid is a great choice for those who might not be entirely sold on the idea of an electric model yet. You’ll have amazing mileage, as you’ll be able to get up to an EPA-estimated 56 miles per gallon on the highway, and it’s nice to drive. You’ll have a bold look on the outside, and you can count on cozy seating on the inside.
- NEXO Fuel Cell: The NEXO Fuel Cell is incredibly innovative, as it’s capable of charging a hefty amount of its battery in just five minutes. On top of this, it has an EPA-estimated range of 380 miles, making it great for inter-city travel. Once you make your way inside, you’ll find that your cabin is surprisingly spacious, and you’ll have a lot of room in the back for your bags and other belongings.
- SANTA FE: This model comes in both hybrid and plug-in hybrid variants, so you can be flexible when you’re making your final choice. You’ll find that this model is extremely capable, and you can take advantage of smart features like available Remote Charge Scheduling. This allows you to make sure that your model is charged for the next day.
- TUSCON: The TUSCON also features both a plug-in hybrid and a regular hybrid variant, so you’ll have the ability to choose between them if you’re set on this model. You’ll find that it offers a fairly spacious interior, so if you’re shopping for the family, you may want to take the time to test drive it.
- KONA Electric: The KONA Electric features 201 horsepower and standard 17-inch wheels. While it might not have as much range as some of the other models on the list, clocking in at an EPA-estimated 258 miles, it makes up for it with its nimble design and a great list of features. With no tailpipe emissions, you won’t have to worry about damaging the environment either.
- IONIQ 5: This model offers a sleek look and a nimble drive, so you’ll have great handling when you’re behind the wheel. You’ll also have a taste of luxury with standard features like a 12.3-inch HD Touchscreen with Navigation capability. If you’re looking for a model that’s cozy and nice to drive, then this is a great choice. With your small profile, it’ll be easy to make your way through the city.
- IONIQ 6: The IONIQ 6 is a great choice for those who plan on taking road trips, as you’ll find that it has an impressive range of 316 miles which pairs with ultra-fast charging. This allows you to get back on the road quickly, and with your roomy cabin, you’ll be able to relax. You’ll also have a wide variety of standard and available features that are designed to maximize your comfort.